Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Beat City Radio's Favorites

I prefer not to compile year-end "best of" lists, as my favorite albums in any given year are the ones I'm exposed to and hear most often. I don't get the opportunity to listen to every record released in a year, and oftentimes my favorites weren't released in said year, anyway. So... below you'll find not a "Best of 2008" list, but rather, a few of my favorite records released this year. The list will see a few updates as I go back through the year's many releases, but for now, these are albums that have been in constant rotation either on Beat City Radio or in my own stereo.

-Levi M Keller


Artist: The Raveonettes
Album:: Lust, Lust, Lust

Artist: The Kills
Album: Midnight Boom

Artist: Thee Oh Sees
Album: The Master's Bedroom is Worth Spending a Night In

Artist: Thao with the Get Down Stay Down
Album: We Brave Bee Stings and All

Artist: Fleet Foxes
Album: Fleet Foxes

Artist: Vampire Weekend
Album: Vampire Weekend

Artist: Why?
Album: Alopecia

Artist: Foals
Album: Antidotes

2 comments:

Diana M. Painter said...

Can I vote for the Ravonettes? I really have liked everything you have played by them.

Jamon said...

Good list!
All-Songs-Considered reviewed Vampire Weekend last-night with mixed reviews. I thought they were being gut-less. With all of the hype from this album there are likely to be some haters. The album is prone to "recency effect" or “recency error” much like the Shins album from 2007. It's been loved-on and beat-up all year, but it it's kind of a risk to pick this one. I am in complete agreement with you and put the album in my top 5.... along with Fleet Foxes!!
The Sun Giant was my nomination for best EP behind The Gleam II from the Avett Brothers and the full-length Fleet Foxes in June was the sound-track for my summer.
Even though the name Alopecia makes me self conscious .., holy halos and yamikas I've enjoyed their album!